This week in CBX: Barrel-aged blends and Quebecois friends

Image by Flickr user diluvienne

In addition to good ol' Rare Beer Tuesday, the Charleston Beer Exchange posse is holding an in-store tasting on Wednesday to welcome a new brewery to our market.

First thing's first.  At 5 p.m. Tuesday, Barrel-Aged Red Logs Scotch Ale from the Noisette noise-makers at COAST Brewing is going on the growler station.  Red Legs (6.6% ABV, A-) is a long-standing spring seasonal for the brewery, a hearty malt-forward scotch ale brewed with heather tips, among other things.  The barrel-aged version, however, is a real treat.  The release is actually a blend, 60% of which is from this year's fresh batch of regular Red Legs.  The remaining 40% has been in a Jack Daniel's barrel for two years.  Two years, people.  I would not expect to see this again, or certainly not this particular blend, anytime soon.  Act accordingly.

Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. is tasting time with Le Bilboquet, a brewery from Quebec that's new to our area.  I'm admittedly in the dark on this one, so I'll let the CBX blog take over from here:

We'll be pouring samples of L'Affriolante, MacKroken Flower, La Corriveau, and L'Archange. John Byrym of Patagonia Imports (Le Bilboquet's Importer) will be on hand to talk all about this amazing brewery out of Quebec as well as give away a free bottle of MacKroken Flower to each person that buys any three Le Bilboquet beers (while supplies last). These are some very exciting and well-made beers and we can't wait for you all to taste them!

Charleston Beer Exchange drinks your milkshake at 14 Exchange Street downtown.