Real Salt Lake, DC United victorious in second round of Carolina Challenge Cup

Major League Soccer champions Real Salt Lake defeated the Charleston Battery by a score of 3-1 and DC United took down Toronto FC 1-0 on Wednesday night during the second round of the Carolina Challenge Cup.

The Carolina Challenge Cup finale is set for this Saturday night. Real Salt Lake battle Toronto FC in the early game at 5 p.m. followed by the Charleston Battery versus DC United at 7:15 p.m. Tickets are on sale now.

As for Wednesday night's action, here is a recap from the press release:

The Battery started brightly and created the first chance of the game in only the 3rd minute after earning a free-kick twenty yards out. Veteran midfielder Stephen Armstrong took the shot but saw his attempt fly wide of the right post.

Real Salt Lake opened the scoring in the 10th minute after a slipped through pass from Colin Warner to Robbie Findley. Findley ran onto the pass and drilled home just inside the near post.

Charleston pulled level in the 36th minute after a defensive miscue by RSL. Defender Nat Borchers played a difficult ball to goalkeeper Nick Rimando who could not control the ball. Charleston forward Levi Coleman picked up the loose ball and played it square to Pierre-Rudolph Mayard who fired home.

Both teams made multiple changes at half time and the game opened up. The Battery came close in the 61st minute after substitute midfielder Kevin Jackson found some space just outside the box. Jackson hit an early shot but Rimando turned it over the bar with a fine save.

RSL regained the advantage in the 76th minute with a cleverly worked goal. Andy Williams played a one-two to get past the Battery back-line and then played the ball into the near post to forward Fabian Espindola who tapped in from close range.

Salt Lake put the game beyond doubt in injury time with a second goal from Espindola who finished clinically from ten yards out.

DC United 1 – Toronto FC 0

In the second game of the evening veteran forward Jaime Moreno scored the lone goal as DC United remained perfect in the tournament beating Toronto FC by a single goal.

Toronto were reduced to ten men in the 28th minute after Amadou Sanyang was dismissed for violent conduct and United took full advantage of the extra man, dominating possession for the remainder of the contest.

United now lead the tournament with six points, Salt Lake are in second position with three points; Toronto FC and the Battery are tied with one point apiece.